Monday, March 10, 2014

Watermarble Nail Tutorial

Good afternoon dolls ♥ Today I have a long overdue pictorial to share with you! I'm so sorry for not being able to post this last Thursday like I planned to, I've been incredibly busy with school and tests :( I hope this tutorial can make up for it! Keep reading for written instructions on how to watermarble. 


Materials:
  • A base polish (I watermarbled on top of my ombre nails)
  • At least two polishes of your choice to watermarble with (I chose white and clear)
  • A container to hold water (I simply cut a water bottle in half to not ruin my glass cups)
  • Room temperature water (If you use water that is too hot or too cold, the polish won't react well and can just sink to the bottom)
  • A toothpick
  • Acetone, cotton swabs, and a clean up brush
  • A top coat (I use Seche Vite)

Step 1:
Start with your base polish. You can use any base you want, I decided to watermarble on top of my ombre nails. Click here for a tutorial.

Step 2:
Fill your container with room temperature water and start dropping nail polish into it. This is as easy as it sounds, I promise. Add one drop of your first polish (I chose China Glaze White On White) and you'll see that it will start to spread. Next, add a drop of your second polish (I chose Orly's Sec N' Dry top coat so that you can still see my ombre nails underneath) and then alternate the colors again. You can add as many drops as you would like to make the design look more intricate. Make sure to work somewhat quickly so that the polishes don't dry up.

Step 3:
With your toothpick, swirl the design in the water. There are many different ways to swirl the polish, think of something fun and unique and just go with it! I love watermarble because you never really know what you're going to get :)

Step 4:
Choose the coolest spot in the watermarble (of course when I make this pictorial, the watermarble I get is so boring!) and dip your nail directly over it and into the water. If you want to make clean up less of a hassle, feel free to tape your fingers or apply Elmer's Glue around the nail. 

Step 5:
Take your finger out of the water. Sometimes I get air bubbles or water droplets on my fingers so I usually just shake my finger like a crazy person to pop the bubbles and remove water droplets. Weird, I know.

Step 6:
Clean up around your nail with acetone, cotton swabs, and a clean up brush. Add a top coat and you're finished! 

Don't get discouraged if you can't get it right the first few times, watermarbling is one of the most difficult nail art techniques and it takes time and practice to perfect. Keep trying and you'll soon get it right! I hope you all liked this tutorial, feel free to ask any of your questions down below or on Instagram! If you try this out, post your recreation on Instagram and use the hashtag #InspiredBySabrinasNails so that I can see it! I'll talk to you all later!




2 comments: