Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Stars and Half Moons

Hello all! Today I have exciting news to share, I finally received my light box in the mail which means I don't have to depend on daylight to be able to take my photos! Many of you on Instagram were curious as to where I purchased this. I bought everything from Amazon, my soft box was $14.95, my lamps for $13.99 each (I bought two, one on each side of the light box), and my daylight bulbs for $10.67. So far I'm pretty impressed, if anything I bought is out of your budget or you're looking for something better, I encourage you to browse Amazon.com, you can find anything!

Onto my nails, the other day I was browsing through Candice's lovely Instagram (@MrCandiiPants) and was completely inspired by her twist on half moons + a french tip! So inspired that I revolved my whole mani around them, adding stars for an extra touch of chic.



I started by painting my thumb and ringer finger with OPI's My Vampire Is Buff, a new polish of mine that I'm completely obsessed with. As beautiful as it is, it takes 3-4 coats to even out the streakiness which is somewhat of a hassle but I love it anyway. On my index, middle and pinkie fingernails I painted two coats of Essie's Warm and Toasty Turtleneck, a polish that my friend Maddi gave to me for Christmas!


Once the polishes were dry, I took a thin brush and started to paint half moons on the beige nails with short strokes. The only negative thing about working with polish for art is that almost all nail polishes aren't completely opaque which means you'll have to go over your lines a few times with your nail art brush. 


On the remaining purple nails, I took the same nail art brush and painted small stars using My Vampire Is Buff. As difficult as this was, the end result is really pretty! I don't have any specific way of doing this, I just paint a star and then fill it in carefully, making sure I have crisp edges. 


Once I was finished I sealed this design with my favorite top coat. At first I wasn't too happy with these but I grew to love them, I think these are really unique and I'm surprised that I stepped out of my comfort zone with this color scheme. Do you like these? Let me know on Instagram or in a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment